Report: Ronaldo nearly joined MLS side instead of Al Nassr

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner had several suitors from the north American league.

Cristiano Ronaldo reportedly came ‘very close’ to joining Sporting Kansas City before deciding to join Al Nassr.

The Saudi side confirmed Ronaldo’s record-breaking transfer on Friday, signing him on a two-year contract.

The move ends CR7’s spell at the top level as he edges closer to retiring from football. A number of elite players have spent the last years of their careers in MLS, and Ronaldo was also close to doing the same.

Most observers expected LA Galaxy or Inter Miami to make an offer for Ronaldo, who became a free agent after leaving Manchester United last month.

But another American side had seemingly taken the lead in the race to sign Ronaldo.

Private Internet Access
Advertisement

According to ESPN journalist Taylor Twellman, Sporting Kansas City came up with a convincing offer to sign the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.

Jamie Carragher aims brutal dig at Ronaldo after Al Nassr move

Jamie Carragher has highlighted the different situations of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo toward the end of their legendary careers.

Messi finally fulfilled his dream of winning the World Cup as he lifted the trophy in Doha. Ronaldo, on the other hand, missed out on his last chance to claim the title after leaving Manchester United mid-season.

On Friday, the 37-year-old joined Al Nassr as a free agent to continue his career at the Saudi side.

Carragher, who has been a vocal critic of Ronaldo since he arrived at United in 2021, has criticized the former Real Madrid star for his explosive interview with Piers Morgan.

Private Internet Access
Advertisement

“In some ways it’s a sad end for him,” Carragher said on Sky Sports.

“Two of the greatest players of all time in Messi and Ronaldo. That debate has always been there.

“Ronaldo has finished his career with an interview with Piers Morgan

Breaking: Cristiano Ronaldo joins Al Nassr on record-breaking deal

CR7 starts a new chapter in his career by joining the Saudi Arabian side.

Cristiano Ronaldo has joined Al Nassr on a contract until 2025.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner left Manchester United after an explosive interview in November.

After weeks of speculation over Ronaldo’s next club, Al Nassr confirmed they reached an agreement to sign CR7 on Friday.

The 37-year-old joins the Saudi Arabian club as a free agent as he becomes the highest-earning footballer in the world. 

Widespread reports in English media claim Ronaldo will earn £175 million a year at his new club.

Private Internet Access
Advertisement

Al Nassr confirmed Ronaldo’s transfer with a tweet saying: “The world’s greatest athlete officially signed for Al-Nassr”.

The club’s official account latter added: “History in the making.

“This is a signing that will not only inspire our club to achieve even greater success but inspire our league, our nation and future generations, boys

Man Utd: Eriksen breaks silence on “sad” Ronaldo exit

The English giants terminated Ronaldo’s contract after an explosive interview last month.

Christian Eriksen has praised Cristiano Ronaldo’s “special” legacy at Manchester United.

Ronaldo completed a sensational return to Man Utd in August 2021. CR7 became the club’s top-scorer as he maintained his brilliant form last season.

However, Erik ten Hag’s arrival in the summer started his struggle for minutes at Old Trafford. Ronaldo hit out at the Dutchman for “not respecting” him in a fiery interview that ended his Man Utd career.

But Eriksen believes that won’t hurt the 37-year-old’s remarkable legacy at the club.

Private Internet Access
Advertisement

“First of all we are sad that Ronaldo is not part of it. His legacy and his name at any club is special, for me to be fortunate to play with him in my career was very nice,” Eriksen said.

“The football goes on. You feel that the next game after, people will

Ronaldo was subjected to a ‘political ban’ at World Cup, says Turkish President

The Portugal captain didn’t make the starting line-up in the team’s two knockout games for ‘political reasons’.

Cristiano Ronaldo was subjected to a ‘political ban’ at the 2022 FIFA World Cup, according to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Despite picking Ronaldo in the line-up for all three Group H games, Fernando Santos benched the five-time Ballon d’Or winner for the knockout stages. The then-Portugal manager elected Goncalo Ramos as his starting striker instead.

Portugal reached the quarter-finals, but crashed out of the World Cup in a shock 1-0 defeat to Morocco.

“They have wasted Ronaldo. Unfortunately, they have imposed a political ban on him,” Erdogan said at a youth event in the eastern Erzurum province on Sunday as quoted on AA.

“Sending a footballer like Ronaldo to the pitch with just 30 minutes remaining to the match ruined his psychology and took away his energy.”

“Ronaldo is someone who